Documents Required for a Home Loan Mortgage
Below is a list of documents that are required when you apply for a mortgage.
However, every situation is unique and you may be required to provide additional documentation.
1. Valid Photo ID
- Most people provide a drivers license or a passport
- Copy of signed sales contract including all parties
- Any Home Owners Association (HOA) documents if applicable
3. Proof of Income
To make sure that you are able to make your mortgage payments, we need to see proof that you have a source of income. Following documents are usually required:
- Copies of your most recent year to date pay-stubs
- Copies of your W-2 forms for the past two years - Your W-2 forms will help your lender verify that you are employed and will show your income history.
- Work visa or green card (copy front & back)
- If receiving overtime and or bonus income...Last paystub received in the previous 2 years showing the breakdown for each category
If self-employed or receiving interest/dividends, or rental income:
- Provide complete tax returns for the last two years PLUS year-to-date Profit and Loss statement, If you have filed an extension, please supply a copy of the extension.
- K-1's for all partnerships and S-Corporations for the last two years
- Completed and signed Federal Partnership (1065) and/or Corporate Income Tax Returns (1120) including all schedules, statements and addenda for the last two years. (Required only if your ownership position is 25% or greater.)
4. If you will use Alimony or Child Support to qualify
- Provide divorce decree/court order stating amount, as well as, proof of receipt of funds for last year
5. Source of Funds and Down Payment
To qualify for a mortgage, you need to be able to show that you have some money for the closing costs. Acceptable sources of funds may come from:
- Sale of your existing home - provide a copy of the signed sales contract on your current residence and statement or listing agreement if unsold
- Savings, checking or money market funds - provide copies of bank statements for the last 3 months
- Stocks and bonds - provide copies of your statement from your broker or copies of certificates
- Gifts - provide Gift Affidavit and proof of receipt of funds
Based on information appearing on your application and/or your credit report, you may be required to submit additional documentation.
6. Copy of Your Earnest Money Deposit
The earnest money deposit is a deposit made by a buyer towards the down payment in evidence of good faith when the purchase agreement is signed. You may be asked to provide a copy of the earnest money deposit and the bank statement showing it coming out of your account.
7. Copy of Homeowners Insurance
Homeowner's insurance is used to verify that you'll have sufficient coverage on the property when getting a mortgage. It covers any damages that may affect the home's value.
8. Copy of Title Insurance
Title insurance protects a buyer against any errors in the title of the property. Having a copy of your title insurance will help verify the legal description of the property, the taxes, and the names on the title.
9. Own other real estate?
- Current mortgage statement on all properties owned
- Home Owners insurance declaration page on all properties owned
- Real estate taxes on all properties owned
Once you've begun the loan process, our loan expert will let you know exactly what documentation you'll need to get approved.